Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Agility Anyone?

Agility anyone? The coyotes headed toward the agility course outside our bedroom window...
And then left two days later!
Shyla and I ran/rode past the "agility trail camera" on our way to see the sunrise this morning. I can tell that spring is inching toward us because the sunrise sun puddles are moving within the forest. Boulders that were spotlighted by the rising sun just 2 weeks ago are now dark. We search for new spots.
Shyla used to be afraid of my bike, a few months ago. Not any more. Now she knows that it means FUN, and she gets so excited when I roll it out of the basement.
Shyla prefers other games besides agility during the winter, when our agility course is full of snow. Her drive to retrieve is growing exponentially, as long as I don't introduce any "official retrieving dummies" (a.k.a. "bumpers") into the game. My goal is to build her drive to play and to do training so I make it as fun as possible for her.

She launched herself after the rope toy that I'd thrown...
And returned with it, so enthusiastically!
Then, she had a Zen Moment before we headed up to Hug Hill.
I've always done lots of my training with my dogs on top of Hug Hill, perhaps because I love it up there so much. Today, we practiced retrieving, and bringing the toy all the way to my hand.
Of course, I couldn't get photos of the toy being delivered to my hand... but Shyla did pretty well for being outdoors in a distracting setting. Most importantly, she had tons of fun!

Next, she's going to learn to ride a bike.
Which would be more amazing - a dog pedaling a snowbike or a coyote doing agility?

21 comments:

  1. Agility training and cycling!!! Super photos, all of them. Love Shyla perched on the stump, she would so enjoy our tree area, so many stumps now. Cheers from Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great post...loved the shots of the coyotes in the agility field.
    Shyla's coat is looking so rich, what a beautiful pup she is becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely *love* Shyla's "Zen Moment". There's no one in the universe that will ever convince me that even the animals don't instinctively know that Something... a Creator... is "out there somewhere" watching over them. :) I can see that acknowledgement in Shyla's eyes!! :)

    --Andrea
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be hysterical if you ever caught the coyotes actually on the agility equipment or jumping through the tire/over a jump! Well if they can teach dogs to drive a car (in New Zealand I think) then I'm sure Shyla is smart enough to ride a bike. You might just need to make some mods to the bike so she can reach the peddles.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your agility corse! Did you buy or make it?

    Haha, the coyotes on the corse are so funny.

    Shyla is so smart! I'm going to start shaping Nola to retrieve things. That'll be a huge thing for us, as Nola currently has no retrieve drive. We shall see!
    Nola's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, super post! Thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shyla, you are lucky to have such a beautiful environment to run...free like a coyote!

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  8. As smart and talented as Shyla is, I would not be surprised if she did learn to ride a bicycle! What a sight that would be, too. She takes prettier pictures every day!

    If the coyotes do agility, I sure hope you'll have it on video! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I could see Shyla riding the bike. She is so amazing. Just loved the coyote photos. But My favorite his the Zen moment.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woof! Woof! Definitely know that she is having tons of FUN. Can't wait for her to learn how to ride the bike ... Have a wonderful weekend watching the sunrise n sunset. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love pics of Shyla when she is out of the direct sunlight and turns that delicious chocolate brown!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ups you have the coyotes so nearby your house....
    Today we had -16 C so we couldnt go out with the dogs on hunting. Small dogs get cold soon because of the low body weight.
    They are laying in bed now with their Dad :-)
    Have a nice day,hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We wouldn't doubt that you could train either one of those amazing accomplishments, KB! We love your Zen moment, Shyla!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Coyotes doing agility. Good for them.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Let me try again - I got an error 503 when I posted my message. I will apologize if it comes thru twice! :D

    I wonder what the coyote's think of the agility equipment - it must smell so much of "dog".

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those coyotes look like they are having a late night sneaky practice! Maybe there is a competition between the wildlife we don't know about.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Especially love the last photo! What a trainer you'll be when Shyla actually pedals. I know it must be warm there today - I'm in Denver, and we took a pleasant walk in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girl you just made me smile at the end of a tiring day. Thanks. Shyla is simply amazing KB! I have felt spring too the last few days; it is so glorious out-much be beautiful up high. Today we had training and Hunter is doing better than I anticipated on Sit-Stay and wait but at other times he just looses his focus. The trainer says he knows the commands(so does the German Shepherd we train with)but he just chooses when to obey. Even treats don't always work. Love that you have an agility course at your home-what great exercise for the pups. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend friend.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Y'all!

    BOL!

    Shyla, you've left me barkless!

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shyla- I think you are a super model!
    Your so beautiful in your world of wonders!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dog pedaling a snowbike, definitely!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!