Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Thankful Thursday

I am feeling bogged down by life's travails today so it's a good day to take notice of what I'm thankful for. I feel so lucky to head out for a little afternoon walk with our dogs and to see a herd of elk.

Here's a closeup of a few of them.

... and here's a view of most of the herd.
One of the things I'm emotionally bogged down by is the fact that someone shot one of these beautiful animals today. They didn't get a clean shot so the injured elk ran into the forest, and I happened upon the trail of blood. It hurt my soul to see it.

I also feel lucky to be getting to know moose, even though the mother moose terrify me. Here are some recent views of relatively docile moose. A cow...

.... and another cow moose, relaxing in the "warm" snow on a frigid day!

A calf who watched me go by and looked cute with snow on his/her lips.

And I am grateful beyond words to have a bear in a den that has trail cameras monitoring it. The bear has been sticking her head out lately to eat snow. If I were picky, I'd ask for better light at the den so the photos would turn out better but I'm not picky ;)

And, of course, I am thankful for our Duo. Sweet Shyla makes me smile daily.

And R... He is the most intense dog I've ever known. I wonder if he's the first dog ever to decide that his "alert" to a scent in nosework should involve taking a bow and resting his snout on the "hot" box containing the scent! He just started this habit the other day, and it makes me smile!
I am thankful that we can get surgery to try to fix R's elbow. We are lucky to have such incredible vets on the case.

That's a lot to be thankful for!

19 comments:

  1. You sure do have a lot to be thankful for. What a beautiful place to live. I am so sorry about the elk. Why do peeps feel they have to shoot critters?? I like the way you shoot them best.
    Goodness R's looking thankful too. He sure made Mum smile with his bow pose. I'm thankful we have peeps like you in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad about the elk. We are not big into hunting like that.

    "R" is so cute - what a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love looking at all the animals in your backyard! They are so neat! Shyla is just beautiful and I absolutely love the photo of R alerting to the scent! He's so cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Bullwinkle. You are a smarty pants R
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMD, Elk hinnies!!!!! OMD, they are soooooo adorables!!!
    Don't gets me started on insensitive hunters...Ma misses the days where you respected and thanked the animal for giving it's life and feeding the family.
    Not for sport. Killing should not be a 'sport'. Okays, Ma is off her soapbox!
    Nows, R, you are just showin' off dude! BOL!!!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. R,, you are a star!! Just look at you! Do you know how beautiful you are with your head resting on the box!!!

    We're very sad too, KB,,, that someone has injured one of your treasured forest friends.. Its so sad,
    Your world is so beautiful,, and we wish the killers who cannot appreciate Mother Earths gifts,,, just go away..away,

    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Ruby who thinks the Elk rear is beautiful! Too bad it makes them an easier target (doesn't it?)

    My favorite boy looks very handsome resting on his box.

    KB, I hope you are doing much better! That nature photog you were involved in is just wonderful, wish you guys would keep it up right along. I loved the bear poking her nose out.

    Cheers and hugs all around,

    Jo, Stella ans Zkhat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those elk and moose are wonderful. What an ass for shooting one though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. color me silly, but my eyes teared at the thought of the wounded moose, so much worse than death to me. i have a big smile on my face at the face on the box...

    ReplyDelete
  10. that are wonderful things to be tahnkful for... and today I'm thankful for your photos, it's great to see wildlife via your cam :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always find myself inhaling deeply in pure awe when I look at your photos. What an amazing world we live in, and how beautifully you capture it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love R's alert shot! That is beautiful! And we love that bear lick too!

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, those are all terrific things to be thankful for indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have the most beautiful photos. Your trail cams are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots of the elk and moose.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your perspective on life, KB. The bear in the den is mighty cute! I'm glad you're not picky ;)
    And your blog reminds me that dogs are unique. Never having 'owned' one myself, I kind of assume there are personality quirks but you meet a few dogs and you've seen it all. Your R with his bow on the box and Shyla with her wave at the sunrise prove otherwise! But a question - do you have to mark that behaviour so they continue it? Or is it just a cute habit they formed themselves?

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!